Don’t Buy the MacBook Pro with Retina Display… Upgrade Your Current Rig

Calling all Apple Fan Boys… STOP! Put your credit cards down and do not buy the newly released MacBook Pro with Retina display. I know it’s hard to keep yourself from throwing wads of cash at Apple (believe me, I suffer from the same disorder), but the Macbook Pro with Retina display is probably not the best investment of your money right now. I’ll try to make this brief…

Apple’s MacBook Pro with Retina display is a wonder of modern engineering, this is not to be disputed. That being said, just about everything Apple cranks out these days is “a wonder of modern engineering,” but that doesn’t always mean it’s the right engineering for your needs right now. To get a decked-out MacBook Pro with Retina display, you’re looking at spending nearly $4,000. With a price tag like that, you should step back and ask yourself if there is a better way to spend your money… or is there a way to spend a fraction of that and be just as satisfied with your purchase? I asked myself these questions, and the answer was yes in both cases; more specifically, the answer was to upgrade my early 2011 MacBook Pro with the following:

1. Replace primary hard drive with solid state drive: Crucial 265GB M4 – $203.84
2. Replace super drive with a large capacity hard drive: Hard drive caddySeagate Momentus XT 750 GB – $157.46
3. Max out Ram: 16GB OWC memory upgrade – $157.99

The total cost of upgrade… $519.29, or just about 13% of the cost of a fully-loaded Macbook Pro with Retina display. If you want to level the playing field here, let’s just say for argument’s sake that my MacBook Pro is still worth about $2,000, which would make the grand total $2,519.29 after upgrade or roughly 61% of the cost of a cutting edge, fully-loaded, Macbook Pro with Retina display. Well, after using my newly-upgraded machine for just a few hours, I can tell you that I’m happy with my decision to save a significant pile of cash by opting for the upgrade instead of the new machine. This thing screams! Take my word for it and please don’t make me embed various screen shots of speed tests. If you’ve experienced a modern OS running on a solid state drive then you know what I’m talking about; you owe it to yourself to experience sub 30-second boot times and apps that open almost instantly, including Adobe CS and Office.

So, is upgrading right for you? If you like to stay current, then I’d say you go for the upgrade, as long as your computer can run Mountain Lion. If it can’t, then you’re probably ready for an entirely new machine, so lucky you!… here comes a MacBook Pro with Retina display. Well, not so fast! You can still save some cash and have an insanely fast machine by getting a new, non-Retina display MacBook Pro and perform the upgrades I outlined above. Also, after doing my homework, I really don’t think the Retina display is ready for users that demand raw horsepower from their machines; I came to this conclusion because of this insanely thorough review from AnandTech that covers everything from soup to nuts… it’s worth the read. To summarize, the MacBook Pro with Retina display can sometimes lag and/or chug along when attempting to drive all those pixels in high demand situations, which is something you don’t expect from a brand new, state of the art machine, but that’s the price you pay for Retina.

Even if you’re intimidated by the prospect of cracking open your old MacBook Pro or sacrilegiously defiling a brand new one, I highly recommend giving it a shot; there are plenty of YouTube tutorials like the one below to guide you through the process. If you have any trouble, feel free to pester me on twitter @joecorbett, I’ll do my best to help you with any of your questions. Once you’ve got your optical drive replaced you can start making use of that storage by dumping your iPhoto Library on it, and most importantly, moving your iTunes content over as well, both of which will free many gigs on your primary drive. Good luck and happy upgrading!

Header Image from : MP-R care of deviantart.com

95 Responses to “Don’t Buy the MacBook Pro with Retina Display… Upgrade Your Current Rig”

1. avatar
    Joseph Rooks July 18, 2012 at 10:51 am #

The Retina MacBook Pro is definitely a warning shot to developers: “We’re going all-retina across all of our lines and it’s not far off, so get your apps ready. Here’s a HiDPI display to test them on if you need it.”

Whatever benefits photographers or other types of designers get out of it are probably just secondary consequences of that.

Joseph Rooks July 18, 2012 at 10:53 am #

I’ve been thinking about doing some upgrades on my machine, too. It’s about two years old now and I think I can double the RAM in it, which would be fantastic. That’s really the bottleneck for me right now.

Joe Corbett July 18, 2012 at 3:13 pm #

I’m just amazed at how cheap these upgrades are, for me the biggest benefit is the dual hard drives with the primary being solid state, the boot time is fantastic.

Joseph Rooks July 18, 2012 at 5:04 pm #

Yeah, correction, the lack of a solid state drive is probably the bigger bottleneck for me now, with RAM a close second. I want to move my current primary drive into the DVD slot using an OptiBay (http://www.mcetech.com/optibay) for extra storage once I pick up an SSD for this thing.

I’ve never cracked open a Mac before, but it seems like it’s a lot easier than I thought it’d be.

Joseph Rooks July 18, 2012 at 5:06 pm #

(And then when all that’s said and done, maybe I’ll feel alright upgrading to Mountain Lion. Right now I’m a little bit uneasy rocking the boat when Snow Leopard has been so remarkably stable for me the past couple of years.)

Joe Corbett July 18, 2012 at 5:19 pm #

Lion has been hit or miss in a number of ways, though it certainly got better with the last few updates. The consensus around the office is that Mountain Lion is what Lion should have been so I’m confident it’ll impress, I’m really looking forward to AirPlaying my desktop to any AppleTV, should be great.

2. avatar
    Joy November 22, 2012 at 12:00 pm #

Your crazy…Even after all that you have brick compared to a retina mac pro. Its not JUST the performance, its the form factor, screen resolution????Wheres that in your review. Of and how does that video card compare??? It was such a bias review for someone who most likely is tight on money and just is trying to convince them self to pay rent instead of a new retina macbook.

Joe Corbett November 22, 2012 at 1:23 pm #

Holy hell are you a professional troll, because my god you are good at trolling! First of all this was not a review of the MacBook Pro with Retina display. This was one nerds opinion about the decision to buy an entirely new machine vs. upgrading one you currently own. If you want the Retina display then get it. I just personally don’t think there is much value in owning one yet considering the limited content that makes use of such a high resolution display. In less than a year it probably will be, in fact someday soon you won’t be able to buy a mac without a Retina display. But anyway, since you’re so interested in what my review of it would be here it is…

“My god it is an incredible engineering wonder, you will be incredibly happy with your new MacBook Pro with Retina display, be sure to wear a diaper when you turn it on for the first time because you’ll most likely evacuate your bowels into your pants upon viewing such stunning piece of hardware.” Happy now?

P.S. My machine is now packed with dual 512GB SSD’s so it is lighting fast no matter what I’m doing. My graphics card meets my needs, but who cares anyway because you could easily build a PC for $500 that destroys my computer and your coveted MBP with Retina display when it comes to raw power across the board.

P.P.S. Thank you for giving me a reason to rant, it felt good, Happy Thanksgiving!

Lorenzo August 23, 2013 at 8:48 am #

Could you please recommend what is the best MBP upgradeable?
        I don´t know where to buy it since the Apple stores only sells the new models.

Kind regards

Joe Corbett August 23, 2013 at 5:57 pm #

Hey Lorenzo,
          eBay is good option if you don’t want to buy a new machine. If you have the money you could spring for a new 15″ MacBook Pro and upgrade that, but that is a lot of money.Please let me know if I can help further.

logic March 29, 2013 at 11:37 am #

the screens, though amazing, have serious ghosting issues (LG). you need to check your numbers on the video card business, and don’t forget that retina display is demanding 4x the performance (heat) at all times. It’s not a money thing, I took back the retina for a non-retina because it’s a first gen product and it needs some time to simmer into greatness. i need a mobile terabyte too.

Joykill April 6, 2013 at 1:24 pm #

Your crazy what, exactly? If you want to troll learn some god damn grammar!!!!

Joe Corbett April 6, 2013 at 1:30 pm #

ok, you are without a doubt a professional Troll! Thanks for stopping by, now back under YOUR bridge.

3. avatar
    stephanie December 23, 2012 at 3:59 pm #

I got my non-retina macbook pro this week (8 gigs or ram and ssd drive) and I am VERY satisfied! Also, I will never ever buy a machine that I can’t repair or customize!!!!!! Retina display SO WHAT?

4. avatar
    Sam January 3, 2013 at 9:45 am #

Just put in an order for a new solid-state, and like the idea of moving my hard drive into the optical bay, but was wondering about the added weight of carrying two hard drives round?

Joe Corbett January 3, 2013 at 9:50 am #

Good question. SSD are VERY light probably about the same as an optical drive, maybe even less. The caddy weighs almost nothing else well, so I think you’d be hard pressed to notice a weight difference, it’s probably about the same if not slightly lighter. If you’re worried about weight you could always make your secondary drive an SSD as well, at the point your computer should probably be lighter than it was with the original HDD and optical drive. Of course you’ll need space and 512GB SSDs are not too cheap, but they sure are worth it.

5. avatar
    Jeroen January 12, 2013 at 1:16 pm #

The Macbook Retina for $4,000? Last time I looked, it was about $2,100.

I see your current macbook is a 2011 model. That’s not an old model. Yeah… in that case i would upgrade my current model too.

But… I own one of the first Macbook models, from 2007. I already upgraded it twice with new RAM, Harddrives, optical drives (these things always get broken), and batterys. There are also some cracks in the lid and these things are expensive to replace.

What would you do then? Upgrade or get a new machine? Hmmm

The only thing i’m not very happy about concidering the new retina Macbook Pro is the fact that the entire system is one single peace. In the future you can’t upgrade your Macbooks, so it better be future-ready…

Joe Corbett January 16, 2013 at 12:04 pm #

I’m a bit of a performance junky so when I priced the Retina it was fully loaded with apple care, then include Tax and you are at just about $4,000. If I were you and I wanted performance and I didn’t want to pay a ton for it I’d consider a MacBook Air. Understand that by performance I mean responsiveness with doing normal daily tasks like web surfing and executing applications. If you are a gamer I’d never suggest the Air unless your playing very simple games from the App store. Also with the Air consider get the maximum storage capacity if your used to taking all your music/movies with you, because 256 or less will not cut it. You really just have to think about what you plan to use it for, but overall I think you’re ready for a new machine :-)

You also share the same concern that a lot of people do about not being able to upgrade or even repair your own machine. I understand that fear, but at some point we’re all just going to have to get over because computers are only going to get smaller and use logic boards that integrate everything.

6. avatar
    DANIEL January 16, 2013 at 3:52 am #

Thank you, Joe!! I just ordered 16GB ram for my early Macbook Pro i7 2.2 quad core, The Ram was about $90 from Crucial.com. I will wait to get a 512 GB SSD. Prices are coming down. It seems I just bought this machine, then they pull out a new toy ( Retina Display ) I will wait for a 27″ Thunderbolt Retina Apple display for $1000.
    I like you comment that the screen slows down the processor. Nice you were able to fill the Optical drive space with a HDD. Nice to put in 2 (512GB SSD’s) My new Nikon D800 is a memory Hog for Sure at 44-55mb per raw shot then add the JPEG back up Image of about 14mb. When I bought my MacBook Pro I chose it to not buy another $2400 dollar computer for 5 years. Some Troll wack job’s don’t have a life!!! They chase their tail trying to stay up with the latest and greatest for one up man ship and bragging rights. Usually they have a big pot belly and no wife or an ugly one. I’m hanging out overlooking the Chao Praya River in Thailand with a super beautiful petite wife and I pay $100 a month for a big 2 story house. I spend my days taking pictures and today I ran into you upgrading my Old MacBook Pro. No problem for me to buy a New MBPro But Why? This machine is faster than the Troll wack job will ever use. I don’t envy MBPro Retina. In 3 and a half years they will be cheaper and faster and better and I will EbaY mine for $500. A used Apple has value a used IBM is a door stop!!! Thank You again your a lot of help.

7. avatar
    Susan January 23, 2013 at 10:45 pm #

OK, I’m in the same boat. I have a 4-year old 15″ MBP. It still works great (just like my 15-year old Dell OptiPlex) – it’s just S…L…O…W! I do quite a bit of graphic work on it and it’s time to upgrade my Creative Suite but my setup doesn’t meet the VRAM requirement. :( With all this talk of upgrading the components, I don’t suppose I can upgrade the GPU too? (Please say yes)

Thanks!

Joe Corbett January 23, 2013 at 10:59 pm #

Hey Susan, I’m really sorry, but the GPU is directly integrated with the logic board so unless you happen to be an incredible electrical engineer you’re out of luck. What version of Creative Suite are you upgrading to? I’m by no means a graphic designer, but in all my years of using photoshop and CS I’ve never had a resource issue with both my Macs or PCs. My point is it might be worth trying the upgrade anyway because CS might be forgiving if you come up short in the VRAM requirement which as far as I can tell is only 256mb, and then if it works you can try maxing out your RAM and switching to and SSD to get another 1-2 years out of your machine.

All that being said 4 years is getting on the older side for a machine that is supposed to crank out graphic work all day. You may want to upgrade to a new machine, BUT now is not a good time to buy, check out buyersguide.macrumors.com and you’ll see why. Let me know if you have any more questions :-)

Susan January 24, 2013 at 11:34 pm #

I’m upgrading to CS6 and, according to Adobe, I need 512Mb VRAM. My MBP only has 256Mb. Yeah, I know 4 is on the old side but I have a tendency to use my machines to death. I guess I’m very patient – I’ll just go for a walk or make me a drink or watch some TV while it’s working on the 500 mouse clicks I just did. Haha. I did that with my Dell – 8 years later, I finally got a new machine. (But in the meantime, I did upgrade the HD and max out the RAM.) I might try to max out the RAM and exchange the HD to SSD on the MBP and we’ll see … Thanks bunches, Joe!

8. avatar
    M February 4, 2013 at 5:36 pm #

Are you really comparing like for like though? You say a fully decked rMBP costs $4000, fair enough. But is that really the relevant comparison? A 15″ model with 512GB SSD and 16GB RAM is around $3000 (for the 2.6GHz model – the 2.7GHz adds another $250 for a marginal improvement). A non-retina MBP 2.6GHz machine with a 512GB SSD drive and only 8GB RAM is already more than that. Fair enough, you can probably get a $750GB hard drive and swap the optical drive for less, but the non-retina display is surely also worth less.

An upgrade to an existing machine is always cheaper as long as you can do it. The relevant comparison should be an equivalently specced new non-retina MBP.

Joe Corbett February 4, 2013 at 5:57 pm #

I understand what you’re saying, but my point was that rather than jump on a Retina MPB, upgrading ones current rig is a better move because you can get a lot out of performance out of a few simple upgrades. I’d even say getting a current non-retina fully loaded is smarter than getting a retina. A lot of designers I’ve spoken with say its not quite ready to design on as there are still quite a few apps and popular sites that do not render appropriately on the screen. I probably wouldn’t upgrade to one until all of Apples displays are retina. That should only be another 1-2 years. For now… I say skip the MacBook Pro with retina display and squeeze some more miles out of the machine you have.

9. avatar
    Aiden February 26, 2013 at 2:16 am #

Hey Joe, I was just hovering over purchasing a brand new fully specced Retina Macbook Pro when i stumbled across this page!! Wow, so glad i did. I have the full spec early 2011 Macbook Pro. 2.3Ghz i7, 8GB, OS X 10.8.2. Would you be so kind as to list what exactly i could use the Retina funds with, to max out my upgrades instead of a new laptop altogether? Ive always been terrified about messing with the macs but i agree with your article and i’m also very much a performance enthusiast. It just doesn’t make sense to throw so much money at new macs every time they come out just because they are “the most powerful blah blah blah…” but it works unfortunately, i cant help but look at my current previous beast of a machine with utter resentment and compare it to a shiny retina mac. Help would be very appreciated Joe, thanks.

Joe Corbett February 26, 2013 at 9:58 am #

Hey Aiden,
      Here is what I suggest for your machine…

512GB SSD:$350 from Amazon

16GBs of RAM: $118 from MacSales.com, you can find it cheaper on Amazon, but MacSales.com has never let me down.

If you want more storage you can add a second SSD to maintain that high speed or you can add a traditional laptop HDD and push your storage to 1.5TB, MacSales.com has a decent one for $139.99

Either way you are going to need to swap out your optical drive for a hard drive caddy that costs about $10

Go slow when you are doing the hard drive conversion, the cables are very delicate, watch the video I posted above a few times to make sure you know what to expect. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Aiden February 26, 2013 at 10:31 am #

Happy days. I’ll be in touch again when I do it. Can I still add two ssd’s even though my laptop is a 15″ then? I heard it was only possible on the 13″ version? Thanks again Joe.

Joe Corbett February 26, 2013 at 10:34 am #

Both the 15″ and 13″ MacBook Pros can handle two SSDs. SSDs are treated just like a traditional hard disk drive. I doubled up on 512GB SSDs in my 15″ and it’s awesome.

10. avatar
    Vic Karmazinas March 12, 2013 at 10:41 pm #

Joe, I appreciate the effort you put into this web site. It’s very informative. Can I ask, it’s March, 2013 and I can finally get my hands on a Macbook Pro. I understand the Macbook Pros with Retina display are NOT “upgradable”. So, which regular Macbook Pro should I get if I want the most powerful/fastest? What hardware should I have installed in it and what hardware should I upgrade myself to max out the performance? Thanks in advance..
    Vic

Joe Corbett March 13, 2013 at 11:10 am #

Hey Vic,
      I actually just did this myself a few months ago it’s a simple formula really.

1. Buy the fastest 15″ non retina Macbook Pro they make. Upgrading the processor to be slightly faster is optional, I opted to do it.
      2. Only get 4Gigs of RAM because you’ll be upgrading that to 16 yourself
      3. Only get the 500GB HDD unless of course you plan to convert your optical bay to a secondary HDD or SSD
      4. Get AppleCare, It’s worth it.

That’s all you need from Apple.

Once you get your computer, do the following.

1. Buy 16GBs of RAM from macsales.com or amazon.com Macsales makes it easier to find compatible memory but is sightly more expensive.
      2. Buy the biggest SSD you can afford. If you got the money go with a 512GB SSD if your have super deep pockets go with two of those and put it in as a secondary drive. Though a standard HDD in the optical bay is sufficient because the speed gains are really seen on the drive that is running OSX. You’ll need an optical bay conversation kit that you can also get on Amazon.com
      3. Upgrade

That’s it really.
      1. Max out a 15″ MacBook Pro (not RAM and only the HDD if you plan to reuse it)
      2. Upgrade to 16GB’s of RAM
      3. Upgrade to an SSD for your primary drive (for more storage convert your optical bay to an HDD or and SSD)
      4. Enjoy!

If you need any more info just hit on twitter @joecorbett

Vic Karmazinas March 14, 2013 at 1:01 am #

Thanks for all the advice Joe. You said get the fastest 15″ MBP so that’ll be 2.7GHz Qad i7.. but you mentioned optionally upgrading that. To what exactly? What is a good supplier? OWC?
        As for the RAM upgrade, is there a brand & supplier you recommend?
        I do want to convert the optical bay to a secondary SSD. Eventually two SSDs. What brand SSD do you like? Sorry for all the questions (too much to Tweet). I’m trying to make this purchase within the next few days and want to be sure I’m doing the right thing.
        Thanks!!
        Vic

Joe Corbett March 14, 2013 at 11:20 am #

Hey Vic,
          I just mean that you didn’t necessarily need to get the fastest processor, but it is an option. Whatever processor you get from Apple will be the one you have for the life of the computer, it is not upgradable in any way, which is the reason I went with the fastest one possible at the time of my purchase.

I like using OWC, macsales.com, because their compatibility chart ensures you’ll get the proper RAM. Amazon is a bit cheaper, but you need to be sure that the RAM you get is compatible, usually you just need to check the BUS speed of your system and the memory and match them up, Corsair memory is a great buy on Amazon at the moment, I would check them out if you don’t go with macsales.com

I always go with the Crucial M4 SSDs, I have bought MANY for myself and my company (20+) and not one has failed.

Drop another comment if you need me to clarify something! Good Luck!

11. avatar
    Jon Andrews March 13, 2013 at 11:05 pm #

Hi Joe,

I’ve had your page bookmarked for a while, because I was considering upgrading my Summer 2010 13″ Macbook Pro around Christmas last year but never had the money. I’ve read though that the 2010 models only support certain SSD as well as the optical bay. Would you happen to know off the top of your head what those specs were? Because the 2010 models are older I don’t think they are quite performance heavy like the 2011+ models. Also an SSD with TRIM? Any thoughts on that as well? I’ve upgraded my RAM from 4GB to 8GB because that’s the max it holds but all I need is something else that’ll make it faster because right now I still have a stock HDD in this thing running at 256GB… Not much. Just let me know of some suggestions and I’ll get back to you. Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Jon Andrews

Joe Corbett March 14, 2013 at 12:33 pm #

Hey Jon,
      Thanks for booking marking my post, it’s truly a compliment! Here is what I think… I’ve put SSDs in Macs much older than yours and never even gave a thought about compatibility, this is because SSD are basically no different then an HDD in how a system treats them via their SATA connection, so I’m very confident ANY SSD should work with your Macbook Pro which I’m pretty sure is a MacBookPro7,1. I don’t know every little detail about each models optical bay, there is a chance some could be temperamental and not always work with and SSD or even an HDD, but I wouldn’t worry about it too much. If you want to avoid swapping out your optical drive and you are happy with 256GBs of space why not just upgrade your primary HDD to a Crucial M4 256GB drive? Of course if you’re looking to get a lot more storage you’ll probably want to do the drive conversion.

I did some homework on TRIM and what I’ve found is that it’s not supported in OSX for third party drives, but there is a free third party tool called Trim Enabler that will enable it for any SSD you install. To be honest, I do understand the benefits of TRIM, but I haven’t concerned myself with it and my system is working perfectly. If you do decide to use it, let me know how it works.

In short upgrade your HDD to and SSD with a crucial M4, the largest you can afford, and do the conversion if you need extra space.

12. avatar
    Vic Karmazinas March 16, 2013 at 5:48 pm #

Joe, Re: “Only get the 500GB HDD UNLESS of course you plan to convert your optical bay to a secondary HDD or SSD”

I do plan to use an 512GB SSD. But, I can only afford one right now. So, for now, is the 500GB HDD the best option?

Joe Corbett March 16, 2013 at 6:21 pm #

Depends on what you want to spend now you could get a 1TB HDD but if your going to swap it eventually you may consider just using what you have on hand.

13. avatar
    Mathias Denichi March 22, 2013 at 10:32 am #

The benefits of replacing the optical with a SSD, and booting OSX from it also can increase battery length with no spinning physical disk. I fully agree with this, and as far as Apple, the only product buy from them is their Macbook. I feel it’s the best laptop out there for the form factor and price. Once you get into PC laptops such as sager or malibal, it basically cost equal if not more than a macbook, and doesn’t have near the support.

14. avatar
    Cathy March 22, 2013 at 10:59 am #

Hi Joe, I’m looking at replacing a 6-year-old white iMac this year. Was looking at the non-retina MacBook Pro and wondered if you recommend getting the higher resolution antiglare display?

Joe Corbett March 22, 2013 at 11:20 am #

Hey Cathy,
      Hi-Res all the way! It’s a cheap upgrade and worth it. Whether you choose Anti-Glare or Glossy is really a personal preference. Glossy has been said to cause eye fatigue more quickly, and of course it is sensitive to Glare, I for one prefer glossy, for a number of reason. Just know that you probably won’t be able to walk into an Apple store and pick up a hi-res MacBook Pro, they’ll have to order for you, or you can do it through apple.com, they only stock select builds, custom option are built to order (BTO). Enjoy!

logic March 29, 2013 at 11:43 am #

also, you can convert a glossy to antiglare with a film. this doesn’t work the other way. glossy is way easier to clean too. since the 2.6(7) 15″ is no longer for sale, you might check the refurb store (bottom left of apple store), or some other online retailers to find one. it’s worth it, and it should be discounted.

15. avatar
    Squid April 2, 2013 at 2:45 pm #

Did the upgrade (2 ssds) a few months ago and set up a Raid 0 on my late 2008 macbook pro. Works like a dream. faster than I ever dreamed. The 2 crucial m4 256 ssds I would recommend to anyone.

What can we do next to improve our macs or is that it?

Joe Corbett April 2, 2013 at 3:13 pm #

Wow, I’m not sure there is much more you can do, unless you RAID a bunch of thunderbolt SSD’s but that’s not really viable. Have you maxed out your RAM? Other then that I’d say go forth and prosper!

16. avatar
    Mark April 3, 2013 at 8:26 pm #

Great blog,,,thinking about buying a late 2011 17 macbook pro and maxing it out…. Thoughts?? would I be better getting the new non retina macbook pro?

Joe Corbett April 3, 2013 at 9:00 pm #

Thanks Dr jaffe!

It’s not an easy call. Depends on the condition and price of the 17″. Aside from that, I always really wanted to get a 17″, but waited too long and of course now they don’t make them. Looking back I’m glad I didn’t get it because my next machine would have to be 15″ by default so it might be an annoying transition down the road. Either way I wouldn’t go out a buy a new non-retina today because buyersguide.macrumors.com is showing that an update is likely coming so if you do go that route you should wait. Overall… If it’s in great condition and it will save you some money sure why not, the 17″ MBP is pretty cool, otherwise wait and get a brand new non-retina. Hope that was helpful.

P.S. Always check http://buyersguide.macrumors.com before buying!

17. avatar
    Joykill April 6, 2013 at 1:31 pm #

I hate apple, I hate their business model, I hate the fact they come out with new models faster than auto manufacturers do. I bought my wife a rMBP as an upgrade for her 5+year old mbp which couldn’t run crap efficiently. I hated paying the steep price for the lackluster specs (especially compared to the desktop I just built), but she will love it, it will survive through her post-grad school, and the display will be great for imaging. So that makes it worth it…. I suppose. Good write up, though. I would have upgraded the old rig if I could have =

18. avatar
    John DeWolfe April 12, 2013 at 3:45 am #

I am afraid. Very afraid. OK, so I have a MBP7,1 early 2010 (maybe its mid) and I have had ALOT of trouble with RAM as its only 4gb and multiple app death ball, overheating, and the slow crawl of doom time expansion has me frustrated, ill willed, and sweating bullets. I am active in photo, video, 3D modeling, movies, music, and games. I don’t even have an external drive so I am very ill equipped. I am beyond salvation I am afraid to admit.

But as of late, I have found Buddha.

And along his Eight-fold Path of Enlightenment that has strayed far from Cupertino, I have found 16 gigabyte RAM sticks, 120 gb ssd, data doubler, hybrid ssd 1 terabyte drive in the old optic space – and I await Nirvana. Yet, I have the fear. I am still waiting for all of this stuff to arrive at my door. Will it work? Will I even be able to install all of this hardware? Will I figure out how to move all of my data from the old drive to the new? Will I clone the hd or just use Migrate Assistant? Will I brick my MBP? Is all of this shit even worth it? I spent about $400 so far and my refurbed MBP I got about a year and a half ago. I got a nice black speck case and some keyboard covers so it looks better but I want something fierce and bloodthirsty. You’re right tho you could totally piece together a bad ass PC that would completely obliterate all Mac platforms – but if all of this works out then I’m good right now.

Will I be saved? Will I be able to pull this off? Oh, random nerd gods help me with an answer of confirmation or condemn into the stinking carbon pit of hell fire for all eternity…………..

Joe Corbett April 12, 2013 at 9:57 am #

You will be successful… I can feel it. Please hit me up on twitter for anything you need via @joecorbett

I’d happily Skype with you too if you hit a road block.

You can do it… You too, are a Random Nerd…

19. avatar
    John DeWolfe - Vader/Anakin April 15, 2013 at 3:14 pm #

Darth Vader: Joe… help me take this mask off.
    Joe: But you’ll die.
    Darth Vader: Nothing… can stop that now. Just for once… let me… look on you with my *own* eyes.
    Anakin: Now… go, my son. Leave me.
    Joe: No. You’re coming with me. I’ll not leave you here, I’ve got to save you.
    Anakin: You already… have, Joe. You were right. You were right about me. (*Right about my MBP upgrade success and my Random Nerdness*) Tell your sister… you were right.

Joe Corbett April 15, 2013 at 4:08 pm #

“These are not the nerds you’re looking for”

ha that’s all I got!

John I’m so happy you had a successful upgrade. I’m sure you’re already enjoying the benefits of a lighting fast SSD.

20. avatar
    Walter April 21, 2013 at 8:32 pm #

Hi Joe,

I have an early 2011 MacBook Pro 2.2 15 inch. I was considering upgrading the machine after reading your article, and hearing about problems that the retina ones are having. In one of your replies in March, it seems that you bought a new machine some months ago, was it time to let your 2011 model go? If you did configure a newer model, what improvements are you seeing?
    As for the buying guide, I see that we are in mid-cycle, and it is not a recommended time to buy.
    I can wait to see what the next release of MBP offers, as it would be nice if they did not run so warm. Would you suggest upgrading my current machine now, and then transferring the upgrades to a newer model? Or that an upgraded 2011 should be good for several more years. Thanks.

Joe Corbett April 21, 2013 at 10:14 pm #

Hey Walter,
      The only reason I got yet another MacBook Pro so soon was because I changed job and I did not own that machine, so I yanked my upgrades and turned in my machine. That meant I had to buy a 2012 machine, otherwise I would have waited sometime to upgrade the base machine. In your case I would wait to buy a new machine until the newest model comes out. I would also not upgrade the components until that time too. The price of SSDs could drop and/or capacities could increase as well. Just hold tight for a few more months and you’ll get much more for you money. Let me know if you have any other questions and and good luck!

21. avatar
    Troy Anderson May 21, 2013 at 5:38 pm #

Hi Joe:

Regarding your comment above, I bought a brand new late 2011 17″ MacBook Pro from MacMall. I had previously owned the non Core i7 17″ and used it easily with an Octane SSD in the main bay and a Crucial SSD in the optical bay. Using Lion was no issue. Now……with the new Core i7 version, restarts are very difficult and the computer will not recognize the Crucial SSD in the optical bay. Apple’s senior tech group is baffled. Two service consultants in the Boston area are baffled. This is my second unit – thinking that the first unit had a defective board and returned it to MacMall. Any ideas from you or your readers??

Thanks.

Troy

Joe Corbett May 22, 2013 at 6:29 pm #

Hey Troy,
      Sorry for the delay here… Your situation is rather dicey because there are so many things that could be going wrong here, not to mention you’ve already taken it upon yourself to chat with qualified people that should be able to help. That being said here are my thoughts…

1. The drives could be damaged… You need to eliminate this possibility by putting each of them in a different machine and seeing whether or they will boot
      2. The cables could be damaged… Have you tried putting a regular HDD drive back in the 17″ and running a fresh install of the OS? Does it work as it should?
      3. The Logic board could be damaged… Trying out step 2 would prove this to be true or false
      4. The drives are not compatible with your Computer. This is incredibly Rare, but I’ve heard “Myths” about certain machines not being able to run SSD drives. I’ve never actually seen this first hand.
      5. Your computer maybe have a firmware update pending… You mentioned you are using Lion. I don’t know what variables need to be in place to allow a firmware update to take place, but maybe there is a chance you have to be running Mountain Lion to then have the computer eligible for a firmware update that might fix the issue. If that is the case and the firmware update fixes it, my guess is you are a in a very rare category.
      6. OH! I just remembered I once got a bad drive caddy so try a different one, even one from a different vendor, that fixed my issue the one time this upgrade did not work for me.
      7. Wipe both drives. Try and clean install to them in the Primary bay. See what the results are. It might yield some info for you that could explain what’s going on.
      8. If you are still having the issue I’d be happy to chat about it more. Feel free to email me: josephcorbett at me dot com

Good luck! Sorry you are having trouble!

22. avatar
    Blythe June 7, 2013 at 3:45 pm #

So glad I stumbled on your page…definitely bookmarking your post! I just purchased a 2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM -2x4GB, 750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200, 8x Double-Layer SuperDrive,
    MBP 15″ HR Glossy WS Display…and was having doubts about it but reading your post it seems like this will be upgradeable to SSD drives later, as well as the 8GB to 16GB if that is what I read correctly?

I am upgrading from a late 2008 model Macbook (which has the aluminum casing) which apparently was only a one time release from Apple because while it doesn’t say “Pro” on the lower half of the screen it was a pre-Pro model. Do you think this model is upgradeable as far as memory to maybe a SSD? It had a 250GB memory. Nothing is actually wrong with it but it is 4 yrs old, and was running out of memory space.

Thanks!

Joe Corbett June 7, 2013 at 7:40 pm #

Hey Blythe,
      Yes you are reading that correctly you’re new machine should be able to handle those upgrades just fine. Your old machines should be able to handle some sort of upgrade as well. Check this link http://www.macsales.com SOrry for the short answer, flight is taking off, all electronics off!

23. avatar
    Alexandre June 12, 2013 at 9:08 pm #

Hi Joe, sorry for my poor english, whatever I’m from Brazil and just made like you, I have a 2010 MBP 17″ and was waiting for new MBP line with better GPU and newest ac band wifi. Of course I’ll wait for the next second set, not the next to wait for bugfixes on these new specs. I recently bought a Samsung 840PRO 256GB SSD drive and move my Seagate Momentus XT 750GB HD to second drive with a NIMTZ optibay. That’s my first day with this new setting and now I’m afraid the drive don’t stop to spin… don’t know if it will stop soon… do you saw anything like this? I still not formatted the second drive, it has all old OSX folders and files. I’m transfering the files and I’ll partition it. I would like to ask you if there is any app to put the second drive to sleep and wake up. Thanks and I’ll bookmark your blog just now! See ya

24. avatar
    Richard Clark July 30, 2013 at 7:08 pm #

I’ve got a MacBook Pro 8,2 and got a 512G SSD and a 1.5T HD in place of the SuperDrive along with 16 G of memory and a 2.5G I7. The machine is blazing fast and I have lots of room for many, many apps and VMs (I have about 10). Everything has been great for the past year until today when I needed the 2880x resolution for a high-rez graphics project. So I would say that given the fact that the Retina models can’t hold the extra drive, the price differential, and the fact that I needed the graphics capability only once in the past year, that I made the right choice and saved a ton of cash like you did.

Joe Corbett July 31, 2013 at 6:31 pm #

That’s awesome. I’m going to raid my two SSD’s when I upgrade to Mavericks, I’ll let you know how that turns out.

25. avatar
    Ali August 10, 2013 at 3:48 pm #

Hi Joe,
    Thanks for this article and the links. I have been considering upgrading my MBP from…I think 2009 for awhile now. I know it used to be amazing and now its so slow. I’ve saved up the cash and I’m ready. I’m a bit nervous to try, and I’ve been googling tutorials on upgrading my hard drive and RAM. Would you happen to know a website that has the best tutorials or videos?

Thanks.

Joe Corbett August 10, 2013 at 4:39 pm #

Hey Ali,
      Most of what you need to know is in the video I posted above. It’s a VERY straight forward process. Remove a few screws swap in the new drive and go. If your question about the process is what to do after the new drive is in I can suggest the following:

1.Pick up this USB to SATA adapter.

2. Now put your new drive in using the steps outlined in the video above

3. You’ll need to install the latest version of OSX on it, but you’ll need to read this post on MacRumors.com about how to Create a Bootable Mountain Lion USB Key Installer.

3. The installer will ask you if you have any user data to import. At that point you’ll connect your old drive to you computer with the sata to USB adaptor and select the user accounts you want to import to your freshly upgraded MacBook pro

4. Rejoice!

If you have any more questions let me know!

26. avatar
    Waleed October 20, 2013 at 11:35 pm #

Hi Joe,
    I loved the article but i have a question. I have an early 2011 MBP (2.3 GHz Core i5, 4GB ram, and a 1TB hard drive that i installed as an upgrade from the built in smaller one). Is it worth upgrading my MBP to the max or should a new one be bought? (considering that the new macbook pros are almost here)

If you think i should upgrade my current rig then please tell me all the things i can upgrade to max because frankly speaking i dont really want to spend so much money on a new fully specced MBP when i can save alot by just upgrading my current rig as you have said in your article.
    Thanks.

Waleed October 20, 2013 at 11:41 pm #

Im not really that much of a heavy user…. just some video editing on iMovie, some Graphic designing on Adobe CS, some music on Garageband, and then there is the regular internet browsing. Basically i just want to get another 3-4 years out of my current rig. So is it worth upgrading it to make it last longer or should i just consider saving up some more and getting the new MBP fully specced for doing the same things that i have mentioned, nothing heavy or performance intensive really just some average stuff. Thanks.

27. avatar
    zach benton November 17, 2013 at 2:23 am #

is this possible with a late 2008 model, trying to run in design and final cut and its not as fast as i want it to be and i would also like a better graphics card, is that dueable? or should i save up for another computer?

Joe Corbett November 17, 2013 at 8:54 pm #

I’m sorry Zach, that’s not possible, the graphics card is part of the logic board which is essentially the entire computer. If you’re unable to run apps because of this I think your best option is to get a new machine. Any of the current MacBooks Pros or Airs will work.

28. avatar
    David January 16, 2014 at 12:53 am #

Hi Joe,
    I am new to Mac and am planning to buy a MBP and find this very informative post. Indeed it should save a lot of cash by upgrading on non-retina MBP rather than buy retina MBP. I am planning to do the same (buy a non-renita and upgrade). However, you also suggested follow the website’s suggestion http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/, which now has a reccommodation of “don’t buy” for non-retina MBP because it will soon be phased out. Do you think I should buy a retina or still buy a non-retina and upgrade? Many thanks.

Joe Corbett January 16, 2014 at 7:42 am #

Hi David,
      When I first wrote the post I suggested not buying the retina display because the performance between the non-retina and the retina was fairly comparable, especially when the non-retina was upgraded to an SSD. Today things are a bit different. The engineering of the Retina computers have improved and the non-retinas has mostly stayed the same. Also the price for the Retina has dropped just a bit, which was likely in anticipation of the non-retina phase out. My point is I think the Retina display, if you can afford it, is the right purchase today. If you’d like to save some significant money I’d consider buying a used non-rentina MacBook Pro and upgrading that. Good luck and welcome to the Cult of Mac! ;-)

David January 17, 2014 at 6:22 am #

Hi Joe, Many thanks for the explanation and suggestion. I think I will buy a second hand non-retina to start with:-)

29. avatar
    Al Haines January 17, 2014 at 2:15 am #

Hey Joe
    I recently decided that I need to upgrade my early 2011 MBP as it has become extremely slow. Luckily I stumbled on to this article and plan to take the advice above as far as those three upgrades go! I understand everything except there is a lot of confusion on the SATA connection for the optical drive. The video above says 6Gb/s is not compatible. Ive read people saying that it is and isn’t on forums. The seagate hybrid drive is 6Gb/s. So my question is, do I need to worry about all this SATA stuff? Also is 7400 vs 5400rpm hard drives really a significant improvement?

Sorry for more questions on this. Thanks much.

Joe Corbett January 17, 2014 at 4:54 pm #

Hey Al,
      I don’t think you need to worry about it. I’m currently using two SSDs in both areas and I’ve never had a problem. I’ve also used that Seagate hybrid wihtout issue in multiple computers. My guess is that the limitation if there ever was one was on the OS side and probably was eliminated in an update. I’ve actually never even looked at the stats for data transfers speeds because every drive I’ve put in always seems to work just fine. Just a note I have gotten bad drive caddies before and had to replace them with a different one. So I say go for it!

alex haines January 17, 2014 at 11:17 pm #

Great thanks! Yea I am taking a chance on the drive caddy over the $35 data doubler.

30. avatar
    Jake January 22, 2014 at 2:46 am #

Hey, thanks for this great post! I’m hesitating between buying the Retina or upgrading my early 2009 MacBook (the white one) w/ 2Gb RAM, 2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo. I’m wondering to what extent upgrading to 8 Gb of RAM and a 512 or even 1Tb SSD would improve performance as well as battery life (I suppose I could replace the battery too, would be the second time). I’m guessing it would make a big difference, though I am still tempted by the Retina just because it’s so lightweight and I travel a lot (the Air ‘should’ be my choice, but the upward-slanting keyboard is the opposite of what my arms/wrists/hands need to avoid tendinitis relapse!). On the topic of physical weight am I right to assume that subbing a SSD for my HD is going to have a negligible effect? Anyway, I may upgrade either way and worst case maybe I can sell my newly maxed out Core 2 to pay for a Retina…

Besides that, I too don’t feel comfortable buying into Apple’s new no-upgrading era (I do no graphic design or video editing – mainly web, office apps, entertainment media and occasionally use dj apps – and yet am still pondering buying a 16Gb RAM Retina just to be future proof! makes no sense I guess) – though you give me pause with your comment about how we should get used to this dynamic as things get engineered super-small.

Joe Corbett January 22, 2014 at 7:11 pm #

Hey Jake,
      Thanks for your comment. I think upgrading your machine would be a good move because it is FAR cheaper than buying a new machine and you haven’t described anything that would make me think you really need a brand new one. I think you could get another year or two out of your MacBook if you upgrade to an SSD and max out the memory. I don’t know what exact model you have, but if it’s compatible with Mavericks that should help your battery life issue as it is far more efficient with battery usage.

31. avatar
    Alex Jacob February 2, 2014 at 6:55 pm #

Hey i have read through your article and i am so impressed with how much you are willing to help people and the amount of time this has taken up. The internet is a way better place because of people like you.
    I just bought a used 2011 macbook pro for $600 in pretty much new condition and was wondering if it was worth keeping and upgrading or if i should just sell the thing and go back to pc’s. I mostly just need it for college, music and random web browsing and stuff. I was thinking about just putting in a 126gb ssd which costs like $100 (everyone in college is broke). i know you frequently recommend people to upgrade but it seems the majority of them are from a while back.

Joe Corbett February 3, 2014 at 8:13 am #

Hey Alex,
      Those were very kind, humbling, and validating words. Thank you so much! The whole reason I wanted to start Random Nerds was to give back to the community of nerds that gave so much to me. Our first post is all about that.

Anyway… First of all. NO! Do not go back to PC’s, not right now anyway and probably not for a very long time. Second of all it sounds like you’ve got a pretty decent machine so I’d hang onto it if I were you. 126GB SSD is not huge so unless you are planning to swap out the optical drive with your old HDD then I would consider bumping your SSD to 240GBs if you can make that happen. I still love what Crucial is putting out right now. Seems like a fair price to me. Anyway good luck and let me know if you have any additional questions.

32. avatar
    Gregg Brent February 17, 2014 at 11:01 am #

Glad I stumbled on this site since I’m in exact same position.

I have an early 2011 Macbook Pro 15″. I also have 2008 Mac Pro Tower which is really slowing down and just too damn big. So was going to get rid of the Mac Pro Tower and upgrade my Macbook Pro with 16 GB RAM and large SSD and connect it to external monitor to use as a desktop (I don’t travel much anymore with my Mac).

Two Questions for you: I use Adobe Creative Suite mostly (just upgraded to the Cloud version) as well as Final Cut Pro. I was reading that faster SSDs that are a bit better for video and photoshop, etc.

I was going to buy a Crucial M500 480G for $260 but have been reading good things about the Samsung 840 PRO 512GB (esp for video editing) but it costs $400. Do you have any thoughts or info about the difference in using faster read/write SSDs and if they are worth the extra money? Or is it one of those things I probably wouldn’t notice (without specifically benchmarking)?

The other question is do you have any experience using a Macbook Pro as a desktop? I’d like to hook up the laptop to external monitor and bluletooth keyboard. Is this a feasible solution for a workstation?

Oh and there is one other scenario I can do: I received an iPad air for Christmas. Since I have a Ipad 2 I returned the Air and got $700 Apple credit. I could take the $500+ I’d be spending on upgrading my 2011 MBP and combine it with $700 store credit and buy something like a new 13″ MBP. Any thoughts?

THANKS!!

Joe Corbett February 17, 2014 at 11:17 am #

Hey Gregg,
      Thanks for commenting! Allow me to respond in the form of list because you have a few questions here…
      1. I don’t have any experience with the Samsung’s SSD, but they do have the reputation of performing better than others. That being said all SSD’s are not created equal but they are all much faster than what you are used to with a HDD. That being said if you want serious performance install two of the Crucial M500′s into your MacBook pro and then set them up as a striped RAID. I’ve been doing that since mavericks came out and the performance of my machine is pretty phenomenal. I should have a post about that in the near future. One last thing to consider here, the performance differences here are a matter of seconds or minutes when rendering video, so unless you running a mini pixar studio out of your house I don’t think you need to make the investment.

2. I in fact do treat my laptop like a desktop. I always have a second monitor and an external trackpad and keyboard. I would use the additional monitor for more space rather than keeping the laptop closed and having one screen. “Studies have shown” that a second monitor increases your productivity substantially. I’ve attached a picture of my home setup for your viewing pleasure

Home Workstation

3. I wouldn’t get the 13″ if you’ve been using the 15″ exclusively, you’ll like miss the screen space. I sit on the gift card for now and use it for something else.

Let me know if you have any more questions Gregg! Good Luck!

Gregg Brent February 17, 2014 at 12:46 pm #

Thanks for speedy reply. I think I’ll put that order in today. I like your home setup. Is that a special stand you have your MBP on? Interesting idea about setting up a RAID. For right now I’ll probably keep my dvd drive as I still have occasional need for it and just replace the hard drive with the one SSD.

Great info on this site. Thanks

Joe Corbett February 17, 2014 at 1:49 pm #

No problem! The stand I like is called the mStand, it’s perfect!

33. avatar
    sancho February 25, 2014 at 7:53 am #

I’ve got a Macbook Pro 15 (MC118) Mid 2009(!!!) 5 years old notebook!
    http://take.ms/nNtis – screenshot

I have just upgraded it:
    1. SSD Crucial M4 256 Gb (for system disk only)
    2. Optibay + Hitachi Travelstar 7K1000 2.5″ 7200rpm 32Mb (half for data, half for TimeMachine backups!)
    3. SO-DIMM DDR3, 8ГБ (2×4ГБ), PC3-10600, 1333МГц, Corsair, CMSA8GX3M2A1333C9

Pros:
    - Now I just have a fanstastic fast machine! OS boots very quickly. All software definitely like SSD :)
    - Mac OS X like 8 Gb of RAM
    - TimeMachine and data storage is always with you

Cons:
    - So I have upgrdaded everything to the MAX level. No more RAM is allowed by motherboard.
    - I can’t change a CPU and GPU :(
    - SATA is not a latest versions, so the speed of my SSD is not MAX

Regarding MBP Retina, I can say only that It’ s will be optimal to wait 1-2 generations of new mbp to get a really great notebook. Now MBP Retina is like iPad 3 with Retina. Great screen, low hardware.

34. avatar
    sancho February 25, 2014 at 8:04 am #

I just found a new 1.5TB HDD
    HGST HTS541515A9E630
    It can be installed in MBP too

35. avatar
    kawehi February 28, 2014 at 12:37 am #

Hey, I’m a college student and i want to buy a macbook pro, but I’m having trouble choosing between the 13″ 2012 model and the 2013 macbook retina. I’m mainly going to type essays and browse the web once in a while. I already have an ipad and smartphone so I would barely be using the laptop, but I want a macbook pro because I know they last long and is well worth the money. I’m also wanting a fast macbook so I was thinking about buying the 2012 model and upgrading it?? Thank you

Bob Wacker March 26, 2014 at 10:28 pm #

Kahwehi,
      I’m no Joe but reading through these comments and got to your comment and thought I would share my experience with upgrading my 13″ mid 2012.
      (And Joe thank you for this post, though I found your webpage after I upgraded my Macbook Pro 13″).
      I bought this computer in mid 2012, I would imagine that you could find the lowest model of this very cheap now being almost two years later.
      I recently decided to upgrade to a SSD.
      I got a Samsung EVO 1TB SSD (It is crisp and fast.) on sale for under $500.00 on amazon when it was going for closer to $800 [couldn't pass it up] http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage/MZ-7TE1T0BW [It is currently going for $509]. {They also just released an mSATA 1TB that has potential for replacing optical drives in the future possibly{Joe, Isn’t the optical drive hooked up by mSATA?} here is the link for that: http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage/MZ-MTE1T0BW;

I then shortly after upgraded my Optical Drive by using a bay (I bought an MCE Opti-bay, http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=OBSXGB-UNB&Category_Code=STORHDOPTIBAY ;
      I also bought the add-on purchase of an external casing for the optical drive so that I could hook it up by USB; the optical bay now runs even faster)
      I put the original hard drive (an Apple 1TB 5400 RPM) in the Opti-Bay.
      I set the Opti-bay drive up as a second storage drive (Mostly being used by iTunes and Movies at the Moment). SSD is running OSX Mavericks.
      The Comp. has 8GB of RAM (Eventually I will double that to 16GB).
      With just the change to a solid state drive I have seen remarkable improvement in apps launching and web pages loading. Also I have seen an extreme speed up in start-up at just under 20secs. So I can only imagine what it will be at with a 16GB.
      The two downsides to the 13″ is that its a 13″ and that its dual core processor (unlike its bigger brother the 15″ that has a quad-core).
      So if you are using it for those tasks listed above you will see great speed and functioning. I also use it for some minor graphic design and photo-editing in CS4 Suite and CS4 Lightroom.
      So if you do buy (or have already bought) a 13″ from 2012 it is well worth upgrading and will give it new life for years to come.
      Joe this is truly an awesome post and thread.
      Also I thought I would tell you I do use TRIM enabler. I found out that my computer will crash if it is not enabled (at least after the recent update to OSX 10.9.2 after the update shut off my TRIM and I didn’t know and the comp crashed. So Atleast with the Samsung EVOs its important to Enable TRIM. For Kaweh here is the link to Trim Enabler (You will want this if you go the Samsung SSD route): http://www.cindori.org/software/trimenabler/

Joe Corbett March 27, 2014 at 10:35 am #

I really appreciate the comment, Bob! I’m always trying to give back to the greater nerd community because I’d be nothing without it.

Bob Wacker March 27, 2014 at 3:35 pm #

You’re welcome. I actually have a question. Is the Macbook Pro’s super drives hooked up by mSATA? or some other connection?

36. avatar
    Travis March 19, 2014 at 4:35 pm #

I have a 2009, 160GB 4GB Ram 13″ Macbook Pro. I have Mavericks on it, it is full, and slowing down. I like to play games on it, I don’t need the best graphics, just decent graphics that play smoothly. If I were to upgrade to I think 8GB ram is the max on this machine, and get a larger hard drive, do you think it would work well, or should I just buck up and get a new one (in our opinion)?

Joe Corbett March 20, 2014 at 12:11 pm #

Hey Travis, If your hard drive is full it doesn’t matter what system you have it will slow to a crawl and in most cases be entirely unusable. If the games you want to play to require a very impressive graphics card, Macs are not known for that. Then yeah I’d say upgrade to an inexpensive solid state 256GBs should be fine for you, and I’m double your memory. Note that SSD don’t have too much impact on your gaming experience so if you see any performance gains there at all it will be because of the memory. Good luck!

37. avatar
    Eduardo April 14, 2014 at 2:50 am #

Hi Joe,
    Thank you for your advice, you are absolutely right, I will be better off if I upgrade my MBP late 2012 than go for the Retina one. I will upgraded from 4GB of RAM to 16GB and also I will go for a 256 GB SSD to replace my current 500GB HDD. I have a question for you…How do I do to move my Phototoshop app., also my Lightroom and other apps. that make my computer slow? Where should I put then in the SSD or in the HDD (this one will replace my optical drive. Also which of the crucial SSD would you recommend me?
    Thank a lot for your help…you are the man!!!

38. avatar
    Luce April 19, 2014 at 11:54 pm #

Just randomly landed on this site! I know your post is like almost two years old but people keep on commenting so might as well comment as well. :) I’m thinking of buying rMBP 13in 126gb to replace my 2008 Macbook White since the battery only lasts like 2 hours and I can’t really update any of my software or apps (its 2ghz 1gb model). I’m not sure though if it’s the right move after reading online reviews that you’ll be wiser to buy non-retina model and upgrade it. Sorry if you’re getting a lot of questions on these. Btw im a graduate student who use laptop a lot (like ms office), web browsing but also use it to watch series, movies etc. Hope you (or anyone else) here replies. Thanks!

Joe Corbett April 21, 2014 at 8:04 am #

Hey Luce,
      Thanks for commenting! I think you’re ready for a new computer. Here is what I would do…
      If you want to keep the cost low and all you’re are doing is browsing the web and using office I’d go with the MacBook Air. If you want to spend a little extra money that I’d take invest in a 13′ MacBook Pro with Retina display. The only thing to consider between both of these machines is storage since their base is very low. Let me know if you have any additional questions!

Luce April 21, 2014 at 9:24 pm #

Wow thanks for the reply! Will consider your recommendation. So ill put off the non-retina on my list probably. Im just concerned with the 128g size. My brother-in-law says its too small for the price? My reason is its okay to invest on a laptop and splurge a little (seeing mine lasted like 6 years).
        Anyway, thanks for replying again!

Joe Corbett April 21, 2014 at 9:35 pm #

Yes, 128GBs is not a lot of storage. I do feel that 256GBs should be the minimum and of course 500GBs is even better. That being said you can always store you iTunes library on and external hard drive along with other large files so there are ways to use only a small amount of storage. Anyway, good luck!

P.S. always check here before buying anything from Apple: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com