Talking Like a Jerk: #0009 + #0010 – The Year in Music in Washington DC
Within earshot of the defiant marches, congressional hearings, and nonsensical presidential press conferences that spotlit Washington D.C. in 2017, the city’s hardy music scene was having one of its strongest and most boisterous years in recent memory.
In fact, it was such a prolific year for our hardworking artists and musicians that I had to split this end-of-year podcast — featuring guests Jamal Gray (director of Uptown Art House + member of Nag Champa), Chris Naoum (co-founder of Listen Local First + the Funk Parade), and Ben Schurr (of Blight Records + Br’er) — into two parts.
In Part One, we discuss the daunting challenges to making art in this city in 2017, including the recent changes to DC’s media landscape, fluctuating audience engagement, and the struggle to provide responsible context for the city’s musical past and present:
In Part Two, we
lighten up, keep it musical and eclectic, and share our favorite artists, songs, and live shows from the past year in the 202:
Subscribe: iTunes | Android | Google Play | Stitcher | TuneIn | Articles | RSS
For your convenience and pleasure, I’ve also put together a thorough playlist and each of our “best-of” lists, complete with links for your grassroots musical discovery…
- Luke Stewart and Irreversible Entanglements
- The Cornel West Theory
- Light Beams
- The Galaxy Electric
- Mike of Doom
- Tony Kill
- April + Vista
- Fielder, FKA Dawkins
- SIR E.U
- Jenna Camille
- The CrossRhodes
- OG Lullabies
- Dove Lady
- echelon the seeker.
- Alex Vaughn
- Sugg Savage
Top Tracks and Singles
- Foreign Air — “Call off the Dogs”
- Babeo Baggins — “Thunderbird”
- Chaz French — “Way Out”
- Moses Stone — “Gone”
- Sugg Savage — “Fill in the Blank”
- Born Rivals — “Howl”
- Alex Vaughn — “Good Morning”
- RDGLDGRN — “Opera”
- Shaed — “Too Much”
- Lavender — “Fade”
- Cautious Clay — “Cold War”
- Humble Fire — “Builder”
- The North Country — “Island”
- Micah Robinson — “Speechless”
- Dreamcast — “Liquid Deep”
- Aaron Abernathy, Dialogue
- Harold Little, Akoben
- Kelela, Take Me Apart
- The CrossRhodes, Footprints on the Moon
- Bumper Jacksons, I’ve Never Met a Stranger
- Goldlink, At What Cost
- Paperhaus, Are These the Questions We Need to Ask?
- Oddisee, The Iceberg
- Peyote Pilgrim, Americana Hotel
- Dave James, Where the Sidewalk Ends
- By & By, Songs for the Old Heart
- Maimouna Youssef, Vintage Babies
- Sneaks, It’s a Myth
- Kris Funn, CornerStore
- Nappy Nappa — “De la croix“
- Irreversible Entanglements — “Enough”
- Radiator Greys — “Life in the Blast Radius”
- Hand Grenade Job — “Jupiter”
- Flash Frequency — “Ambient Soundscape II”
- Paperhaus — “Told You What to Say”
Like what you read? Share it.
(That helps us.)
Love what you read? Patronize Lindsay Hogan.
That helps us and the writer.
What is Patronizing? Learn more here.